Mary Mahoney's Old French House
Prominent patrons from around the globe continue to consume the mouthwatering traditions Mary Mahoney began preparing over 50 years ago.
Generations of Biloxians and National Geographic writers have all called Mary Mahoney’s Old French House restaurant “Biloxi’s Oldest House.” Perhaps one of the Mississippi Gulf Coast’s oldest standing structures, built c.1835, the building illustrates the combined influences of Creole and the Greek Revival architecture. In 1962, Mary Mahoney was forced out of the hotel lounge she ran and took out a $13,000 loan to buy the historic Brunet-Fourchy House, and convert it into a fine dining establishment. Mary, her husband Bob, and her brother Andrew Cvitanovic, renovated the building after Andrew sold his shrimp boat, opening the doors on May 7th, 1964. The building’s impressive history was only outshined by Mary’s brilliant personality. Her signature evening wear and generous spirit were as familiar as her gumbo that remains on the menu today. Before Mary passed at age 61 in 1985 she was the first woman named Mississippi Small Business Person of the year in 1982. She was named president of the Biloxi Chamber of Commerce a few years later.
Whether it’s private dining, a black tie affair, or just a bowl of gumbo it’s extremely hard not to enjoy your meal and the remarkable atmosphere at Mary Mahoney’s Old French House.