The Redding House
Charles Walter Redding, a native of neighboring Bay Saint Louis, relocated to Biloxi after the Civil War. In 1907, Redding sought a new base of operations for his growing ship’s chandlery marine supply business. Mrs. Nancy “Annie” Pittman Redding vetoed her husband’s choice of beachfront property after a devastating hurricane in 1898 wrought havoc down by the waterfront. The couple agreed Jackson Street provided sufficient protection from major storm damage. Mr. Redding contracted local architect John Harkness to create an extraordinary estate that demonstrated how successful Redding was.
More recently the house has served as office space and later as an event venue.