Old Brick House
Biloxi’s Old Brick House was constructed between 1835 and 1840, and one of it’s first residents was William Rodgers of New Orleans. Rodgers stipulated in his will that the property be sold to help the poor boy’s asylum in New Orleans. After Rodger’s passing, the house was sold in 1850 to John L. Henley who held it until the 1870s. After a series of owners, local women in various garden clubs raised money in the 1950s to restore the home and to use it for their meetings. In 1966, the City of Biloxi deeded the property to the Biloxi Garden Center. The house represents the period of Biloxi’s history when traveling by boat was the primary method of transportation across the Coast. Evidence of this is that the house’s front entrance faces the Back Bay, rather than the street, which came later. The house is one of the area’s oldest examples of Greek Revival Architecture and is on the National Register of Historic Places. The City of Biloxi currently operates the house as an event venue.